For many aging adults today, nothing is as worrisome as the prospect of wrinkles. While the skin naturally does start to wrinkle with time, this normal part of growing older can be understandably frustrating to any individual. Here at Heritage Family Medicine and Aesthetics, we know how frustrating wrinkles can be.
This is why we not only have many great treatments designed to treat wrinkles, but we are also here to provide our patients with as much information as possible so they can also take preventative measures to help slow down the progression of wrinkles altogether.
Here are five very unsuspecting causes of wrinkles that may be leading to the look of your aging skin.
- Chewing Gum- While it may seem innocent enough, regular gum chewers may be more prone to wrinkles than those who don’t chew gum. This is because it forces your mouth to form different shapes and ultimately form lines around the corners of the mouth and along the jaw.
- Smoking- If you smoke, you are putting yourself in a position to look older as it restricts blood flow to your skin. When you smoke, your skin cells can struggle with getting oxygen and nutrients to the surface which makes it difficult for your skin to stay healthy. This isn’t it either. The chemicals in cigarettes can break down skin elastin and fibrin, leading to wrinkles and drooping while the physical act of smoking and pursing your lips can create fine lines around the mouth. In short—smoking is one of the biggest ways to cause wrinkles in the skin.
- Sleeping on Your Stomach- If you sleep on your stomach and are constantly pressing your face against your pillow, it can cause creases and permanent wrinkles in the skin.
- Eating Too Much Sugar- Eating too much sugar not only impacts your waistline, but it can damage collagen and elastin in the skin—which are responsible for keeping the skin firm and tight.
- Spending Too Much Time in the Sun- Most people know that the sun can damage the skin, but this is so important, it is worth the reminder. Spending time in the sun and avoiding using sunscreen will cause wrinkles. You need to be wearing SPF 30 every day even if you aren’t necessarily sunbathing.
Here at Heritage, we can not only help you prevent wrinkles with our information into the causes of wrinkled skin, but we can help you get rid of the appearance of wrinkles as well. We offer Botox and fillers for those who prefer injections as well as anti-aging and skin rejuvenation treatments. This includes Intense Pulsed Light Therapy, facial remodeling and skin resurfacing—all of which can help with your wrinkles.
If you are interested in learning more about wrinkles, or some of the different treatments we offer for wrinkle reduction, contact Heritage Family Medicine and Aesthetics today. Give us a call us at 817-318-7859 and learn more about how we can help give you that glowing, youthful look you have always wanted.